Wednesday 25 September 2013

Unit 11 Freelance work


My Core Skills and possible career choices



Requirements for a freelance business

Setting up as a sole trader or becoming a freelancer is probably the easiest and quickest way to start a business. It doesn't require paying a registration fee and I believe it is lighter on paper work than becoming an employee for another business. However, you must register yourself as self-employed within 3 months of working or starting to trade, if not you may find a penalty of up to £100 plus interest on any taxes due.

Pretty much anyone can set up as a sole trader. Although, there are certain types of work that require obtaining a licence or permit from your local authority, such as childminding, taxi driving or street trading. Personally, I want to become a counselor, and luckily anyone can become a counselor really. However I wouldn't recommend trying to do it without any previous training as: Nobody would want to hire you; you may get a client with an issue(s) that are too challenging for you to help them with; you may end up mentally harming your client; etc.

If you're planning on running your business from your own home, you may have to pay business rates for the part of your home that is used for business purposes, depending on whether or not you use that part for domestic purposes also. For example, if you work from a computer in your bedroom it is unlikely you'll have to pay business rates, but if you work from a separate office, this may entail paying business rates. As I'm thinking of becoming a counselor, I may or may not have to pay business rates, it really could be done either way. If, say, I chose to hold my sessions in the living room of my home it would mean I avoid business rates. This has positives and negatives to it, it may possibly seem more peaceful and homely for the client but possibly somewhat unprofessional? Whereas an office sort of environment would seem more professional but may not be as comfortable for a client. "Another thing to bear in mind if you’re working from home is whether or not you need planning permission. If you propose to make any changes to your house for business purposes, such as building an extension, or if you’re likely to cause disturbance to your neighbours, it will probably be necessary to get planning permission. Contact the planning department of your local authority for more details." - http://startups.co.uk/how-to-register-as-a-self-employed-sole-trader-or-freelancer/ - 04/12/2013.


Anyone who becomes a freelancer must register for income tax and national insurance contributions with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC). This can be done online, by phone, or by post. When registering you'll need to provide your national insurance number - if you don't have one, contact Jobcentre Plus. Luckily for me, I have one.


As a self-employed sole trader, you’ll have to complete a self assessment tax return to HMRC. This involves filling in a tax return form, either online or paper, in which you inform HMRC of your income and capital gains, or in which you may claim tax allowances or reliefs. Usually, HMRC will send you your self assessment tax return in April. The list of instructions to register yourself as a sole trader continue but you get the jist of it.
Primarily I think any freelancer needs to start off with the resources and materials they'd need to start off their business. Every freelancer would benefit from having their own website to advertise themselves, their business, and what they can offer to society. Whereas some businesses (thinking of art/design orientated business as an example) would need equipment to be able to produce their products, for me, I'd just need a location to practice my trade. That is, once I become a qualified counselor.
I'm thinking to get myself out there and to form some sort of network I'd probably have to start off joining a counseling business (they hire counselors and send them to locations for clients e.g. colleges/schools). From doing this, I'd get to know the business aspects of becoming a counselor better, as well as making myself known amongst colleagues within that business. Say for example one counsellor may be able to recommend myself and vise versa. The only problem with joining a company like this is that you'd have to follow their policies. I know of one called Off the Record which has a policy in place that doesn't allow the counselor to be hired by a client they've previously had through being sent in to counsel (if that makes sense). Basically, I am seeing a counselor at college, because of his policy with Off the Record I cannot hire him, so I am limited to the 6 sessions that are offered to me at college.
Once I have some experience under my belt and more knowledge on the business I'd most likely work as a freelancer. I'd have some sort of network in place from working with previous companies and have my own website to advertise myself.
At the moment I am planning to do a Level 5 counseling course at college. I am still to decide which of the 2 courses I'll do and which college I will go to (either Bristol or somewhere closer to home). I will be getting an interview in place for the near future and from then I can apply to them.






No comments:

Post a Comment